A Family Favourite Brunch Recipe – Vanilla Superfood Waffles
06 May 2019
As the saying goes, “A Sunday well spent brings a week of content” and I couldn’t agree more. Nothing makes me happier than spending a weekend morning in the kitchen with my family, baking a batch of healthy treats for the week ahead.
I’ll be honest though, these vanilla superfood waffles are so delicious, they don’t make it past Sunday!
You know this best part? These waffles are from my latest Super Scoop Recipe Book, which means they’re gluten and sugar free and ideal for the whole family to enjoy. I love sprinkling them with all the good bits like sliced bananas, sugar-free chocolate chips, fresh strawberries or cream for added decadence.
Give them a try for Mother’s Day this weekend and let me know what you think!
Note: These work best with a waffle machine, but they’ll also work in a non-stick pan.
Makes 6-8 medium sized waffles.
- 2 scoops Vanilla Super Scoop
- 1 ¼ cup oat flour (oats ground up into a flour)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk, or milk of your choice
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Optional: Sliced bananas, melted peanut butter, honey, yoghurt or berries
- Add the Super Scoop, oat flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt to a bowl, and stir together.
- To another bowl, add the almond milk, melted coconut oil, eggs, honey and vanilla essence and whisk together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together.
- Allow the mixture to sit in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes to thicken.
- While the mixture is thickening in the fridge, turn a waffle iron on and allow it to heat up.
- Lightly spray the heated waffle iron with cooking spray.
- Once the 15 minutes is up, stir the mixture again and then spoon into the waffle iron and close the machine. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Top your waffles with your choice of optional extras, if you’d like.
Bonus: Oat flour is simple to make at home – simply blend oats in the blender until it’s fine.